WHAT IS CHIMPANZEE TRACKING?
Chimpanzee Tracking is the activity where travelers with the help of a ranger guide hike through the jungle follow the trail left by a habituated chimpanzee family and when they find them, spend sometime (usually an hour) with the chimps experiencing their cultures and behaviors . Life expectancy of Chimpanzee is at 40-60 years.
Check this: 30 days ultimate Tour – Uganda safari
WHERE CAN I TRACK CHIMPANZEES?
Uganda is the most well known destination for gorilla and chimpanzee trekking in Africa. The Kibale Forest National Park, located in western Uganda, is known to be the home to the close relatives of humans, chimpanzees
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO TRACK CHIMPANZEES IN UGANDA?
(1)Foreign resident pays $150 per person per permit per one time tracking
(2)Foreign non resident pays $200 per person per permit per tracking
What is the age limit allowed to track chimpanzees?
There is a minimum age which is allowed for tracking or all day habituated experience which is 15 years. This age limit is being administered by the Uganda wildlife Authority.
Chimpanzee Trekking Rules and Regulations in Uganda
Chimpanzee Trekking Rules and Regulations were set up to advise the visitors about Chimpanzee trekking or habituation Experience in the Chimp forests like Kibale forest National Park. These Rules were made to protect the chimpanzees but also to visitors which is the major sensitivity key to follow while tracking as you enter their living nature habitant in the forest, that is why they need to go through a two-year habituation training on how to get close to human into their forest and not scamper away when you visit them below are the rules and regulations followed while on chimpanzee tracking safari in Uganda.
Chimpanzee Trekking Rules and Regulations
- Travelers should keep a distance of at least 7 -8 meters between you and the chimpanzees.
- Trackers should follow the rules given to them by the ranger and input at the orientation and during the trek.
- Provocation is not allowed to our chimpanzees since they also require freedom.
- Smoking in the presence of the primates is not allowed.
- Travelers who are sick from cold, diarrhea, flu or any other illness cannot be allowed to track chimpanzees.
- Flash disc cameras are not allowed to take photos because they scare away the chimpanzees.
- Guides or ranger is the only way to be able to access to the forest trail heads.
- Travelers who feel like easing themselves, you should do so off the trail and after burying your waste 30cm deep with tissue used.
- Keep your voice at a low level so that you can see more chimpanzees interacting with one another.
- Travelers should obey the limited number of 8 people allowed to track.
- Stay in the group when you meet these great apes in their nature habitats and do not make noise.
- You should not drink in front of the chimpanzees.
- Chimpanzee tracking experience can last 2 to 8 hours while tracking depending on their previous location.
- You should always follow the guide’s instructions.
Tourists are given one hour to observe these unique creatures in the wilderness.
When is it best to track chimpanzees?
Note: Chimpanzee trekking experience is best carried out in morning hours when Chimpanzees are de-nesting from their nests to start their day to search for food and during evening hours it is so interesting and rewarding time to watch them while gathering up to make new nests for the night.
Above all, Uganda is a blessed country to be the top primitive destination in East Africa that harbors with more than 5,000 individual chimpanzees.
What to carry during Chimpanzee tracking safari in Uganda.
These are the essentials things to carry with on your chimpanzee safari in Uganda as listed below;
Traveler does not forget to carry insect repellent since chimpanzees are wild animals and they live in nature forest where you can be bitten by any forest insect in order for you to be secure, you need to pack this insect repellent.
- A pair of binoculars are needed in order to have a great viewing of a variety of bird species while tracking chimpanzees.
- You should not miss out to pack solid comfortable walking shoes.
- Hiking shoes are needed which can help you to descend and ascend in the forest trails.
- Carry your camera with fully charged batteries for you to be able to take photos as many as possible for future remembrance.
- Travelers shouldn’t forget to pack your waterproof bag where you can keep all your personnel belongings like the documents, cameras, packed lunch, and mineral water.
- Carry warm clothes because you never know when it might rain.
- You should have enough bottled water, snacks,
Follow Xavier Safaris on Facebook